The village of Cawthorne has, over the years, answered to many descriptions and names starting with the Saxon ‘Caldern’ which in the Domesday survey of 1086 became ‘Caltorne’ (the cold house), before acquiring its present spelling in Medieval times. Cannon Hall Park was requisitioned by the War Office in 1940 to house a camp for the armed forces which later became a Polish resettlement camp. A Blue Plaque now commemorates the siting of the Military Camp
A Brief History by Barry Jackson.
More history of the Cawthorne can be found at The Jubilee Museum and Cannon Hall Museum.